I set out today to do a write up of County Cavan the way I did of Dublin, of all the big houses to visit or that offer accommodation. There are only two listings in Section 482 for County Cavan and one is a hotel. It turns out that, despite multiple beautiful historic houses, there are not many to visit. I researched places to stay in Cavan as Stephen and I travel through there regularly on our way to Donegal where his mum lives.
The 482 listing includes:
1. Cabra Castle, Kingscourt, Co. Cavan
This is a hotel but unlike some heritage house or castle hotels, they do allow visitors to view the building: the website states that they are open between 11am to 4pm for visitors for viewing all year round, except at Christmastime. I am not sure if this applies currently, however, due to Covid restrictions. I have written to them to enquire.
contact: Howard Corscadden.
Listed Open dates in 2020 (but check due to Covid): all year, except Dec 24, 25, 26, 11am-12 midnight
2. Corravahan House & Gardens
Corravahan, Drung, Ballyhaise, Co. Cavan
Listed Open dates in 2020 (but check due to Covid): Jan 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 27-28, Feb 3-4, 10-11, 17-18, 24-25, Mar 2-3, 9-10, May 24-31, June 1-18, 2pm-6pm, Aug 15-28, 9am-1pm, Sunday 2pm-6pm
Fee: adult €7, OAP/student/child/concessions €5.
I will be travelling through Cavan this month so wrote to them to ask if I can visit, although it will not be on a listed date, and they replied and will probably be there to give us a tour!
From my research I have a list of forty historic houses in County Cavan. Of those, at least eleven no longer exist or are in ruins, and most of the rest are private. Ballyhaise House is now an agricultural college. Farnham Estate and Virginia Park’s hunting lodge are now hotels. Owendoon House is now the Jampa Ling Buddhist Centre and Dromkeen is a Loreto College. Kilnacrott House also appears to belong to a religious order.
Places to Stay:
- Cabra Castle, on section 482 in 2019 – hotel
- Cranaghan House, Ballyconnell, Co Cavan – now the Slieve Russell hotel
- Farnham House, Farnham Estate, Cavan – hotel https://www.farnhamestate.ie
- Lismore House, Co Cavan – restored house (believed to have been the agent’s house) and a place to stay, Peacock House, available on airbnb https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/27674042?source_impression_id=p3_1588842442_J5wx6zVMXojWzclL&guests=1&adults=1
- Ross Castle, Co Cavan – whole house accommodation http://www.enchantingireland.com/Ireland-Accommodations/Castle-Rental-19-Ross-Castle-Sleeps-10-People-With-5-Baths.aspx
- Virginia Park, Co Cavan – hunting lodge on estate now a hotel WWW.VIRGINIAPARKLODGE.COM
Places to Visit:
1. Clough Oughter Castle, Co Cavan – ruin, can visit, if you rent a canoe!
2. Castle Saunderson, Co. Cavan – a spectacular ruin, can visit