I have a bigger project than this section 482 houses blog. It helps, when writing about big houses, to know what is out there. So I have studied Mark Bence-Jones’s 1988 publication in great detail, A Guide to Irish Country Houses, and have conducted research with the help of the internet.
For my own interest, and I am sure many of my readers will appreciate, I am compiling a list of all of the “big house” accommodation across Ireland – finding out places to stay for when Stephen and I go on holidays, especially when we go to see the section 482 houses!
I am also discovering what other houses are open to the public. There are plenty to see which are not privately owned or part of the section 482 scheme. In fact many of the larger houses are either owned by the state, or have been converted into hotels.
This Monday, 8th June 2020, Ireland moves to the next phase of the government’s Covid-19 prevention plan, and we are allowed to travel 20km from our home, or to places within our county. Big houses won’t be open for visits, but some will be opening their gardens – already my friend Gary has been to the gardens of Ardgillan Castle for a walk. Stephen and I went there before lockdown, meeting Stephen’s cousin Nessa for a walk. The castle was closed, but we were blown away by the amazing view from the garden, and walked down to the sea.
Here is my list of houses/castles to visit in Dublin. Some are on section 482 so are private houses with very limited visting times; others are state-owned and are open most days – though not during Covid-19 restriction lockdown – they might be open from June 29th but check websites. Some have gardens which are open to the public now for a wander.
- Airfield, Dundrum, Dublin https://www.airfield.ie
2. Ardgillan Castle, Balbriggan https://ardgillancastle.ie
3. Ashtown Castle, Phoenix Park, Dublin http://phoenixpark.ie/what-to-see/
4. Belvedere House, 6 Great Denmark Street, Dublin https://www.oreillytheatre.com/belvedere-house.html
5. Cabinteely House [formerly Clare Hill, or Marlfield], Cabinteely, Dublin https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/heritage/heritage
6. Casino Marino, Clontarf, Dublin http://casinomarino.ie
7. Charlemount House, Parnell Square, Dublin – Hugh Lane gallery https://www.hughlane.ie
8. Colganstown, Newcastle, Co Dublin – section 482  Colganstown House, Hazelhatch Road, Newcastle, County Dublin
9. Dalkey Castle, Dublin – heritage centre https://www.dalkeycastle.com
Believe it or not, I did my Leaving Certificate examinations in this building!! I was extremely lucky and I loved it and the great atmosphere helped me to get the points/grades I wanted!
10. Drimnagh Castle, Dublin https://www.drimnaghcastle.org
11. Dublin Castle, Dublin https://www.dublincastle.ie
12. Fahanmura, Foxrock, Dublin 18 – section 482 
13. Farm Complex, Toberburr Road, Killeek, St Margaret’s, Co. Dublin – section 482 
14. Farmleigh, Phoenix Park, Dublin http://farmleigh.ie
15. Fern Hill, Stepaside, Dublin – gardens open to public https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/parks-outdoors/fernhill-park-and-gardens
16. Georgian House Museum, 29 Lower Fitzwilliam Street, Merrion Square, Dublin 2 http://www.numbertwentynine.ie
17. Geragh, Sandycove Point, Sandycove, Co. Dublin – section 482 
18. 14 Henrietta Street, Dublin – tenement museum https://14henriettastreet.ie
19. Knocknagin House, Delvin Bridge, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin – section 482 
20. Lambay Castle, Lambay Island, Rush, Dublin p. – island open to public, groups of 12 https://www.lambayisland.ie
21. Lissen Hall, Lissenhall Demesne, Swords, Dublin – open by appointment http://www.ihh.ie/index.cfm/houses/house/name/Lissen%20Hall
22. Malahide Castle, Malahide, County Dublin https://www.malahidecastleandgardens.ie
23. Marlay House, Co Dublin https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/heritage/heritage
24. Martello Tower, Portrane – section 482 
24. Meander, Westminister Road, Foxrock, Dublin 18 – section 482 
25. Newbridge House, Donabate, Co Dublin https://www.newbridgehouseandfarm.com
26. Newman House, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin – MOLI, open to public https://moli.ie
27. 11 North Great George’s Street, Dublin – section 482 
28. 81 North King Street, Dublin – section 482 
29. Old Glebe, Main Street, Newcastle, Co. Dublin – section 482  The Old Glebe, Newcastle-Lyons, County Dublin
30. Pearse Museum and St. Enda’s Park, formerly Hermitage, and formerly called Fields of Odin), Rathfarnham, Dublin http://pearsemuseum.ie
31. Powerscourt Townhouse, Dublin 2 – section 482 Powerscourt Townhouse, 59 South William Street, Dublin 2
32. Primrose Hill, Very Top of Primrose Lane, Lucan, Co. Dublin – section 482 
33. Rathfarnham Castle, Dublin http://rathfarnhamcastle.ie
34. St. George’s, St. George’s Avenue, Killiney, Co. Dublin – section 482 
35. 10 South Frederick Street, Dublin – section 482 
36. Swords Castle, Dublin https://swordscastle.events
37. Tibradden House, Mutton Lane, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16 – section 482 
 2020 list update